If you are looking for an authentic rucolino recipe, you must have heard of this amazing herb liqueur. If you haven’t…you might be wondering what is rucolino?
Rucolino is the typical amaro from the lovely island of Ischia, out of Naples. Locals make it macerating fresh arugula in alcohol, with or without adding flavors (lemon zest, cloves, and cinnamon) and having it, cold, after dinner, as a digestif.
Interesting, isn’t it? Want to find this later, e.g. when it’s arugula season? Pin it 🙂
If you have loved my limoncello, consistently one of my most appreciated recipes, or my nocino (I admit, it is my favorite!) you should try this rucolino recipe! It is less sweet than limoncello, more on the bitter side, but what impresses the most is its flavor, so herby and fresh.
Rucolino recipe (arugula liqueur)
- a sealed glass container
- a pot
- a spoon
- a strainer
- some gauze (or another filter)
- a funnel
- 130 gr arugula
- 1 liter grain alcohol
- 1 lemon zest
- 6 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 liter water
- 500 gr sugar
- Wash the arugula and dry it with a towel.
- In a glass container, add the lemon zest (not the white part, that is bitter), the cinnamon stick, and the cloves.
- Add the grain alcohol.
- Add the arugula, seal the container, and put it in a dark and fresh place for 2 weeks.
- After the resting period, use a strainer to remove the arugula and the flavors. In the meanwhile, prepare a syrup mixing the water and the sugar in a pan. Gently boil it and make it cool down.
- Add the deep green alcohol to the syrup and mix them. Your rucolino is almost ready..
- … but before you pour it into the bottles, you need to filter it with some gauze.
- The final result is a wonderfully colored and smelling arugula liqueur, that you will allow resting 1 more week before serving, always cold. Enjoy!
Some of the links above are affiliate links. This means that, at no additional cost to you, if you click through and make a purchase you will help this blog grow. I only promote affiliate programs that I believe in, and products I know about, with the aim to help you in your choices.