If you are here, maybe you have looked how to make an authentic lasagna bolognese recipe, cause you have decided to cook the best pasta in the world, aka lasagne bolognesi 🙂 Ok, I could be not 100% objective, since I was born in Bologna, but trust me, they are.
You will notice I say “they are” and not “it is”, since in my town lasagna is… plural. We say lasagne, since they are made of a number of layers of fresh, homemade pasta.
Lasagna bolognese: what makes the difference
Lasagne in Bologna are a religion, I would say like pizza in Naples. We simply cannot stand hearing about lasagne with other ingredients (that hurts, lol), but I know we should be more open 🙂
Traditional Italian food is simple, based on few, great ingredients. And this applies also to the authentic lasagna bolognese, which has only four ingredients:
- fresh egg pasta, better if green (i.e. with spinach in the dough)
- besciamella (bechamel sauce)
- ragù (aka bolognese sauce)
- parmigiano reggiano – yes, how can you think of pasta in the oven coming from Bologna with no parmigiano reggiano? 🙂 and if you are curious about how the King of cheese is made, I wrote a guide full of information about it!
Lasagne bolognesi is the result of centuries of contamination among different local recipes. Traditionally, you can find the recipe that is now the pride of trattorias like Nonna Aurora, starting from the beginning of XX century.
But if you are not in Bologna, my advice is: don’t look for this dish in restaurants, just cook it at home following these easy instructions! You will be surprised how easy it is to cook a real lasagna bolognese, starting from the basic ingredients.
If you will like my recipe, just PIN IT! 🙂 Thank you.
Authentic lasagna bolognese
- a casserole
- a spoon
- a pot
- 300 gr bechamel sauce (besciamella) (https://www.eatalianwithroberto.com/homemade-bechamel-sauce)
- 300 gr bolognese sauce (https://www.eatalianwithroberto.com/bolognese-sauce/)
- 6 sheets of fresh egg pasta better is with spinach (green egg pasta)
- 150 gr grated parmesan cheese
- 10 gr butter
- Cook each sheet of pasta in boiling salted water, for about 3-4 minutes each. They must remain "al dente". Then make them rest on a clean cloth, that will absorb the exceeding water.
- Grease your casserole with butter. Then, the rest is just "act and repeat" 🙂
- Start with a sheet of egg pasta, then spread some bolognese sauce over it, some bechamel sauce and eventually add grated parmigiano reggiano on top. Repeat as many times as to finish the sheets.
- Put the casserole into the oven, at 180 °C, and cook for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Suggested wine pairings
So, now that you took the time to cook an original lasagna bolognese, you cannot go wrong with the wine!
A good dish of lasagne bolognesi deserves a good red wine. As always, picking a wine from the same territory of the food is a good choice.
Some of the links above are affiliate links. This means that, at no additional cost to you, if you click through and make a purchase you will help this blog grow. I only promote affiliate programs that I believe in, and products I know about, with the aim to help you in your choices.