As you might have noticed, I am more a pasta or focaccia guy then a dessert one, but when it comes to sweet stuff I have my pillars: tiramisu as end-of-lunch dessert, yogurt and fruit jam cake as a teatime companion!
I found out this recipe few years ago and since then it has become a nice treat for a quick breakfast or for a weekend afternoon tea. The most important ingredient here is the yogurt. I strongly recommend to chose a low in sugar one, like my preferred yogurt, a delicious brand from Trentino Alto Adige: Vipiteno. Check the content in sugar, it should be less than 5%.
Sometimes I hear from my friends that baking cakes is difficult, sometimes leavening is bad… the result is that they get a feeling of discouragement and eventually they give up with homemade cakes.
Last example of this comes from a dear friend of mine, living in Rome, Alessandra (ciao Ale 🙂 ). Her last cake has been, in her own words, a total failure, and this post is dedicated to her: Alessandra, don’t give up, try this recipe and you cannot be wrong. Trust me!
Now that I have been able to end a long lasting friendship, I believe it’s time for my yogurt and fruit jam cake. As usual, let me know if you have liked it!
Yogurt and fruit jam cake
- a mixer
- A cake mold
- 270 gr all purpose flour '00'
- 180 gr sugar
- 150 ml vegetal oil I recommend corn or sunflower
- 150 gr white yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1 bag instant yeast for cakes
- 1 organic lemon peel
- 280 gr fruit jam I love peer one, but your taste rules here
- The preparation is really quick, so.. turn on the oven at 180 °C. Then start mixing eggs with sugar (medium to high speed).
- Slow down the mixer and slowly pour the oil.
- Now add the yogurt.
- Add the lemon peel.
- Finally, add the flour, slowly, until you obtain an homogeneous cream and last the yeast.
- Pour the cream into the cake mold.
- Add the fruit jam making a circle like in the picture, and put the mold into the oven.
- After 40 minutes… you are done! Make it rest and buon appetito!
- as always, when dealing with cakes, use ingredients at ambient temperature;
- when you need lemon peel, always go for organic fruit;
- as soon as you start the preparation, turn on the oven, so that it will be at the desired temperature when you need to bake.