Avocado is one of those things I could eat every day without ever feeling sick of it. When an ingredient is so delicious and healthy at the same time, it becomes such a precious resource for our kitchen!
I love having for breakfast avocado in very thin slices, on top of toasted bread, with a pinch of salt and some fresh lemon juice. Or preparing guacamole as an appetizer, with some corn tortillas: few alternatives are tastier or will make you feel less guilty 🙂
Pasta with avocado and swordfish is one of my favorite recipes when I find some good avocados at the grocery. It combines the creaminess of avocado with the pleasure of some good fish. Here in Italy swordfish is the best choice, but abroad you can use different species. During one trip to Hawaii, I had the chance to appreciate mahi-mahi, and I am more than sure that is would fit this recipe wonderfully.
Note: since this blog is all about authentic Italian food, I want to highlight that pasta with avocado and swordfish is not fully part of our tradition, since avocado is an ingredient that has recently arrived in our country. In the original version, swordfish is usually combined with tomatoes, olives, or even pistachios and it is a typical Sicilian pasta. I would define my recipe a contemporary edition of it, that I find delicious (and super easy!). Here the step-by-step instructions.
If you like quick and healthy pasta recipes, have a look also at my pasta with chickpeas and rosemary: nothing is better than eating tasty without feeling guilty!
Pasta with avocado and swordfish
- a pan to cook the pasta
- a pan to cook the swordfish and mix
- a spoon
- a mixer or a fork to smash the avocado
- 1 slice swordfish a thick slice, about 200gr
- 2 small avocados
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 400 gr pasta both maccheroni and spaghetti will work
- q.s. salt
- q.s. black pepper
- Since this is a quick preparation, first choose your pasta and pour it into boiling and salted water.
- Take the swordfish slice..
- … and chop it.
- Prepare the avocado sauce, smashing them with the mixer or a fork and adding the lemon juice, some salt and a bit of black pepper.
- In a pan, heat the extra virgin olive oil and make it tasty with two garlic cloves. Remove them before they get dark.
- Add the chopped swordfish and cook it for about 5 minutes (see the color in the picture).
- When the pasta is almost done (about 2 minutes before), get half a cup of the boiling water and pour the pasta into the pan with the fish. Pour the boiling water on top of it and start mixing.
- Add the avocado sauce and keep on mixing at medium heat. Taste the pasta, after 3-4 minutes it should be ready, with its creamy sauce. Serve and enjoy!